75 Years Of Excellence
Over the past 75 years, Ambadi has built the company on the foundation of quality & trust, and has been recognized as one of the largest handmade Indian rugs and home textile manufacturers.
Incorporated as Murugappa Agencies Pvt. Ltd. on 18th November 1941.
In 1941, the Madras Presidency issued a mining license for iron ore at Jaggaiahpet, Krishna district to Murugappa Agencies, led by Mr. S Lakshmi Narayana Iyer. This gradually increased to about 6 mines by 1952, including 20.234 hectares of manganese mines in Srikakulam district.
Between 1953 and 1956, Murugappa Agencies, based at 106, Armenian Street, Madras, handled mineral contracts like magnesite ore and export of iron ore from Salem and Erode to various countries. During the Second World War, Murugappa Agencies became the first company to export iron ore to Japan when it exported it to Mitsubishi. The export of iron and magnesite ore continued to Mitsubishi and to other companies in Japan till the commencement of the State Trading Corporation (STC), which was formed in 1956, when all mining licenses were moved from the private sector to the government owned STC.
Between 1958 and 1961, Murugappa Agencies conducted domestic sales of iron, steel and rods, which were low profit businesses.
New Ambadi Estates, a rubber plantation that the group acquired in 1942, was considered as the Kamadhenu for the family by Dewan Bahadur Murugappa Chettiar, the founder of the Murugappa Group. In accordance with these sentiments, Murugappa Agencies Pvt. Ltd. was renamed as Ambadi Enterprises Pvt. Ltd. on 13th December 1961.
Ambadi is Malayalam for Vrindavan, where Lord Krishna spent his childhood. It is plausible that the original owners of the rubber plantation the Group acquired in Kulasekharam, part of Travancore (now Kerala), had a Malayalee lineage before it was acquired by Michael Bostock, from whom the group purchased the estates in 1942.
From 1961 to 1985, Ambadi Enterprises Pvt. Ltd. was a distributor of TI Cycles for Andhra Pradesh, Kerala and Tamil Nadu for cycles and cycle accessories. It also exported bicycles on behalf of TI Cycles to the international market. Ambadi was also exporting/importing other products on behalf of other divisions of the Group. Mr. MNK Menon handled the export business while Mr. Sarangapani and Mr. K B Nair handled local sales. In 1976, Ambadi Enterprises Pvt. Ltd. facilitated the biggest ever bicycle market survey. The team from TI which went into the market for the survey had to display metal advertising boards at dealers’ outlets as proof of their visit.
Ambadi Enterprises Pvt. Ltd. traded in scrips like REP licenses and Exim Scrips between 1986 and 1992. During the period of 1989-91 Ambadi also assisted in sales of Kasturi tea, the brand of retail teas from the Group.
On the 24th of February 1992, Ambadi Enterprises Pvt. Ltd. was converted into a public limited company and the name changed to Ambadi Enterprises Ltd. The current logo of Ambadi denotes a weaver’s knot, representing its product line.
T I & M Ltd. (Tube Investments & Murugappa) had an export division which was exporting floor coverings and textiles to various countries from 1978. In March 1992, when T I & M Ltd. was merged with M/s. Parry Engineering & Exports Ltd., the export division was hived off and moved to Ambadi Enterprises Ltd. along with the products, customers and employees.
Ambadi Enterprises Ltd. transitioned into exports of floor coverings and textiles divisions from January 1992 even as the merger was taking place and during FY 1991-1992, Ambadi Enterprises Ltd. turnover was Rs. 189.74 Lakhs. The corporate office was at TIAM house until March 2004, when it moved to Parry House.
During 1993-94 the Thazhe Chovva property was obtained from Parry Engineering & Exports for a consideration of Rs. 13 Lakhs. In the same year, the Kannur factory at Thazhe Chovva and the Dye house was built. In 1988, it diversified into the trimmings and tassels product line.
TI&M /Ambadi operated out of vendor premises in Warangal, producing cotton dhurries, jute place mats and jute dhurries, Ikat tie and dye products, Ikat bed spreads, cushion covers and bags from Koyyalagudam. In 1996, it moved to its own office in Desaipet road till it was shut down in 2004. Cherthala factory was established in 1994 near S N College at NH 47 for coir and jute products. With coir products becoming more expensive the factory was relocated to a vendor’s premises, managed from a small office at Maradu-Cochin. In 2006-2007 the entire operation was moved to Erode, which had a screen printing facility. This operated till 2010-11.
On 31st March 1994 Ambadi obtained 51,000 shares of Parry Murray from PEEL for a consideration of Rs. 151 Lakhs. Another lot of 29,000 shares was purchased after RBI permission taking the total to 80,000 shares at a cost of Rs. 409.93 Lakhs.
In 1995 Ambadi Enterprsies Ltd. started a subsidiary company – Ambadi Trading Co. Ltd. which exported finished leather and leather products, fabrics, spices, sugar, water beds, rough granites, polished granites and rice.
Ambadi Enterprises Ltd. had an office at 5, Community Centre Saket, in Delhi and subsequently purchased the Udyog Vihar, Gurgaon office on 21st of February 2000 for Rs. 110 Lakhs from Adwik Laboratories.
Ambadi acquired plot number 61 in HUDA, Panipat on 22nd of December 1993 for finishing the floor coverings and supplemented this with a property across the road at plot number 46 on 22nd November 2004. Both these properties were sold and a new integrated 52,000 sq. ft. factory was built at plot no 301 on a 1 acre plot purchased from HSIIDC on 16th August 2012.
Ambadi Enterprises Ltd. acquired Hindustan Unilever’s carpet factory at Varanasi for Rs. 40 Lakhs during the financial year 2002-2003 along with the infrastructure, executives and workers. This facility was with the company until it sold it in 2010 and moved to Bhadoi.
In May 2005 Ambadi Enterprises Ltd. acquired the Thottada land from Ajith Kumar’s family for construction of a new factory which was inaugurated in November 2007.
Parry Murray UK invested in its subsidiary company Parry Murray & Co. Furnishings and Floor Coverings (India) Private Ltd. in October 2006. PMI started its operations at Mysore in April 2008 and started commercial production from 1st March 2009. In 2009-2010 PMI was acquired by Ambadi Enterprises Ltd. from Parry Murray UK and later merged with Ambadi Enterprises Ltd. in April 2012.
Ambadi Enterprises Ltd. entered into an 86 year lease agreement with M/s. Kerala Industrial Infrastructure Ltd. to start a dye house in August 2008 at Thalassery.
On the 22nd of June 2011, Ambadi Enterprises entered the Guinness Book of World Records as the producer of the world’s largest apron.